PURPOSE: This position is responsible for directing and planning the day-to-day operations of group benefits programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending plan, 401(k) plan and retirement plan) as well as managing the delivery and functionality of the Shared Services HRIS systems (core HR, payroll, employee self service, manager serf service, timekeeping, etc.). As a senior member of the Shared Services team reporting to the Vice President, HR Shared Services, the Benefits & HRIS Specialist also provides excellent service to USS employees and operators, and works closely with the HR Coordinator and other members of the Shared Services team on benefit plan and HRIS administration. The Benefits & HRIS Specialist also provides analytical and technical support for benefits and HRIS.
- Manage administration of employee health and welfare plans via the HRIS benefits administration platform. Ensure benefits administration platform is current, accurate and meeting the needs of employees and Shared Services. Monitor and manage the benefits administration process end-to-end, which may include performing routine administrative tasks to resolve issues for employees.
- Operate as project manager for various HRIS initiatives such as the rollout of new modules. Requires close collaboration with other departments and Shared Services and the ability to matrix various stakeholders to hold everyone involved accountable to deadlines and outcomes.
- Work with the Regional HR teams on benefits and HRIS administrative policies and procedures. Assist with resolving employee benefits concerns. Keep site management and the Regional HR Managers advised of potential problem areas and recommend/implement solutions.
- Assist with the overall employment experience from hire through induction (onboarding) and ongoing by ensuring the HRIS and employee/manager self service systems are delivering a positive experience and meeting organizational standards and objectives.
- Perform some data entry and maintain all benefit databases. Process employee transactions through timely data entry into databases. Coordinate and maintain processes and auditing procedures on a daily basis. Ensure data integrity by creating and generating reports and analyzing data.
- Facilitate processing of monthly invoices from insurance providers. Review invoices for accuracy & payment as needed. Resolve discrepancies with carriers, payroll and the corporate office.
- Complete reports for management as requested.
- Assist with annual benefits open enrollment including communicating plan changes to employees, building out systems as needed and leveraging systems and protocols to ensure a positive, compliant, comprehensive experience for employees. Participate in oversight of benefits programs and strategy.
- Serve as a resource for employees, operations, Payroll, and HR contacts to ensure their understanding and compliance with benefit and HR policies and regulations. Strive to ensure employee understanding of benefit programs by regularly generating communication and speaking with employees/dependents as situations arise. Serve as escalation point for issues related to health and welfare plans, and act as a liaison with various insurance carriers, fostering effective relationships and managing partnerships.
- Oversee administration of the Company's 401k program, which may include some routine administrative work as well as critical compliance work, such as annual 401(k) audit.
- Assist with preparation of annual compliance reports as needed, such as 5500 filings.
- Oversee and manage ACA annual reporting compliance and work with HRIS vendor on ongoing compliance.
- Carries out special projects and assignments as requested by manager.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of four years of related benefits or employee benefits administration experience.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft programs such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.
- Prior HRIS experience. Payroll a plus. ADP a plus.
- Project and team management/leadership skills and experience. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates. Capable of effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of benefit plan designs and compliance requirements, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, statutory leave, Medicare, COBRA, and Social Security and DOL.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Problem solver and self-starter who can manage multiple competing priorities and exercises good judgment with respect to time management and prioritization.
- Open minded and willing to learn and grow.