Sr. Benefits Leave Specialist
United Site Services (USS) makes things happen. From building a skyscraper or new home community to providing services to America's largest music festivals, USS is there every step of the way.
As the industry leader in portable sanitation services, we deliver the best for our customers. But to do that, we need the best people to join our team. That's where you come in!
The Sr. Benefits Leave (LOA) Specialist position, manages, monitor, documents and supports leave of absence (LOA) activities related to overall leave administration in accordance with organizational policy, federal and state laws. Produces end-user reports and analysis data to make recommendations based on LOA trends. Provides information, interpretation, guidance and consultation on complex issues that may arise as a result of a LOA associated with Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA), Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL), leave as an accommodation under the Americans' with Disabilities Act (ADA), Workers Compensation, and Personal LOAs. Extracts, organizes, verifies, and interprets customer needs into procedures that follow current policies and practices.
Serves as the Human Resources (HR) central point of contact regarding workers compensation claims in coordination with Employee Health Services and the third-party Workers Compensation administrator. Coordinates workers compensation from initial claim through closure, and the transition from one leave type to another. Maintains the Alternative Duty Program (ADP) to ensures that the program is being followed based on workflow and policy. The LOA Specialist is responsible for the coordination and administration of the leave of absence process for employees including, but not limited to FMLA, CFRA, PDL, ADA, STD and LTD programs in accordance with organizational policy, federal and state laws. Responsibilities include interpreting policies and instructing employees and managers on proper processes and procedures, maintaining records and reports related to leaves, and maintaining communication to all involved in the process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: include the following and other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Administer employee health and welfare plans including enrollments, changes and terminations according to plan provisions. Maintain employee benefit records/files by processing required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping, proper benefit coverage and deductions/codes.
- Work with the Regional HR teams on benefits and related administrative policies and procedures. Assist with resolving employee benefits concerns. Keep site management and the Regional HR Managers advised of potential problem areas and recommend/implement solutions.
- Manage all LOA programs (FMLA, CFRA, PDL, STD, PFL, etc.) Process paperwork and monitor employee status.
- Serve as a resource for site, Payroll, and HR contacts to ensure their understanding and compliance with benefit and HR policies and regulations. Strive to ensure employee understanding of benefit programs by regularly generating communication and speaking with employees/dependents as situations arise. Resolve employee complaints related to health and welfare plans; address difficult or very complex complaints. Act as a liaison with various insurance carriers and foster effective relationships with client representatives.
- Perform data entry and maintain all benefit databases. Process employee transactions through timely data entry into databases. Coordinate and maintain processes and auditing procedures on a daily basis. Ensure data integrity by creating and generating reports and analyzing data.
- Process monthly invoices from insurance providers. Review invoices for accuracy & payment. Resolve discrepancies with carriers, payroll and the corporate office. Complete reports for management as requested.
- Assist with the annual open enrollment period. Assist with communicating plan changes to employees. Process changes within deadlines and generate confirmation statements.
- Assist with the administration of the Company's 401k program.
- Administer COBRA benefits through third party administrator.
- Assist with preparation of annual compliance reports as needed.
- Carries out special projects and assignments as requested by manager.
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years of related benefits or employee benefits administration experience.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR or SPHR or CEBS) designation is a plus.
- Effective multi-tasking skills in a high-volume, fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.
- Project and team management/leadership skills and experience. Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates. Capability of effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs. Ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on the proposals (RFPs).
- Knowledge of benefits contract language
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers' compensation, Medicare, COBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.